Friday, November 02, 2012

The Red Champion

Hard to go through Colonia without bumping on some classic car. Some of them are used as sad orchards.

Photobucket

My favorite is a 1949 Studebaker Champion, always parked in a strategic place.

Photobucket


It is blazing red.

Photobucket


It has a back side designed to impress drivers of passed cars. The back window is divided, I would not know why.

Photobucket

The car has some beautiful details.

Photobucket

Kudos to the car owner for keeping this dream car in such a good shape, and thanks for sharing it with the world.

2 comments:

  1. Sad indeed to see that Citroen abused. I've never come across one in the U.S., but I remember them on every street in Buenos Aires in the 1960s.

    Great shots of the Studebaker. I have a soft spot for the brand as my parents bought a bullet-nose new in 1949. I think I even got a few driving lessons in it before they traded it in on a Dodge station wagon with a push-button automatic gear shift about 1956. Then, in 1969, I bought a '48 pickup which Margaret and I drove from Seattle to Mexico City, and back to San Francisco.

    The Studebaker is also interesting for its long connection to the design firm of Raymond Lowey. Lowey was also briefly associated with Ansco who credited him with the design of the Anscoflex, though I believe their own in-house designers really did all the heavy lifting on that camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many Citroens in better shape around, but it is sad what they did to that poor one.

    What a road trip - Seattle to Mexico and back to San Francisco!

    I also like Studebakers - their designs were ahead of the times, especially Lowey's. When I was a teenager, local highway police cars were Studebaker Larks (small cars with impressive V8 engines). The Hawks were also favorites, and of course the Avanti was the dream of every male teenager back in the late 1960s.

    I did not know that Lowey had been associated with Ansco.

    ReplyDelete